Thread: Use Of Trade Plates

5ive-o member

Default Use Of Trade Plates

What are the restrictions / limits on the use of trade plates?

I ask as a neighbour trades cars from his drive way (and the road!) and has trade plates. I have lost count of the number of cars that have passed through his hands but there are several that are regularly there and so presumably belong to the family. I had the daughter all dolled up for a night out follow me down the road in a car late in the evening in one of the "family" with a set of trade plates on display and no apparent tax disk.

I assumed that the trade plate were for use as a "portable tax disk" when a vehicle was being driven for trade purposes. Is this correct and does it give any type of exemption from anything else such as insurance etc? Car the car be left on the road with the plates on show?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    What are the restrictions / limits on the use of trade plates?

I ask as a neighbour trades cars from his drive way (and the road!) and has trade plates. I have lost count of the number of cars that have passed through his hands but there are several that are regularly there and so presumably belong to the family. I had the daughter all dolled up for a night out follow me down the road in a car late in the evening in one of the "family" with a set of trade plates on display and no apparent tax disk.

I assumed that the trade plate were for use as a "portable tax disk" when a vehicle was being driven for trade purposes. Is this correct and does it give any type of exemption from anything else such as insurance etc? Car the car be left on the road with the plates on show?

Jeff
    Trade plates are possibly the most misused and abused motor trade tool .

In simple terms you are correct they are a portable tax disc but here is the proviso

They should only be used in connection with genuine motor trade purposes for example demonstrating a car to a potential customer, road test of an untaxed vehicle etc.

I have worked for major groups who seem still to think that they are also a substitute MOT.

In respect of exemption from mot's motor insurance this is certainly not the case.

If your neighbour is using the plates for 'personal' use I would suggest that this is not legitimate use simply because they are not being used for the normal conduct of business.

Actually I have a question of my own in relation to trade plates, Often you see cars displaying in front and back windows, not at the extremities of the vehicle i.e front and rear bumper and clearly visible at a distance which the normal plate is..That I can understand would be an offence, But I am told that the vehicle for insurance purposes is only insured between the extremities of the plates,so for example a car that is displaying a plate in the windscreen and bangs the front end would not be insured ( third party issues excluded) one for the insurance guys

Channa

LOL i log on to post a question about trade plates and here one is!
    let see if we can kill 3 birds with one stone!

What is the score if a company has a set of trade plates but has not used them or taxed them for over 2 years ( the person in question stopped his valeting business for 2 years so they have just been under his bed)

he has just started trading again is it just a case of re taxing them or should he have SORNed???the trade plates .

cheers
    JIM

For sure they need to be valid. in respect of sorn ,Not sure how this actually works.

A sorn would relate to a specific vehicle?

Provided that the plates are legal and used legitimally I personally wouldnt lose too much sleep.

Channa

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/lea...20guidance.pdf

this link should answer the first question for you

Abuse of these can lead to removal of them and prosecution.... ooooh and car seized as well possibly

use of them for non trade use is unlawful.... if you suspect that family are abusing them contact the DVLA and report them, or use crime stoppers to get the matter reported

5ive-o User

When D.J had his accident 2 years ago, he was hit by a CRV, driven by a garage employee. This 4x4 was being delivered to its new owner....trade plates were supposed to be on show apparently...but NO trade plates and NO tax disc. The driver admitted the accident was his fault...eventually, he was given a fine OR a safe driving course and he was sacked.
    Out of every adversity comes an equal or greater opportunity. When I am old enough I am going to grow old disgracefully Give me time....I'm blonde...but i get there in the end...sometimes

As far as the insurance bit goes ..I've not come accross that when dealing with Motor trade policies (i.e only the bit of the vehcile between the plates being insured...)

I'd say so long as the plates are being displayed and used in line with the terms of the policy i.e for Trade purposes not for private use then the claim would be dealt with.

Motor trade policies are in general terms hugely abused, often being seen as "cheap insurance for all the family"..so that even the 2nd cousin, 3 times removed is an employee of the garage as he washes or delivers cars for them "on occasions" so of course any car he is driving is covered.
    Hell was full ...so I'm back

NOTE: The content of my posts on this site are of my own opinion based on my own experience. They do not reflect the opinions of my employer or any other organisation I may represent, nor those of 5ive-o. For qualified legal advice, you should speak to a solicitor.

Could anyone please tell me how i get a set of trade plates as with my newest job which i started this monday just gone i have to transport cars all around the country and sometimes they will not be taxed???
    Mike

See the PDF linked to above.
    VENI, VIDI, SCUBICI

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Marauder View Post
    See the PDF linked to above.

Thankyou kind sir
    Mike

Thread Information